Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Work from the Walls in

Work from Outside In

The first thing on my list was to start simple and to work from the walls inward.  That way I don't get too ahead of myself and have projects get in the way of each other.  The part of the project I'm most looking forward to is decorating the space!

Impromptu Add-In -Electricity

I was going to start with putting in insulation first but decided I wanted to learn more about electricity.  "WHY NOT" take this opportunity to practice wiring a building?  The last time, I played around with electricity was during Shop/Construction class in junior high school.  Afterall, my business is about houses, I should have some understanding of the electrical basics.  Even if I decided not to hook up live electricity to the cabin, at least I don't have to tear the walls apart if and when I finally decided otherwise.
During this project I learned about the difference in amps, volts, and watts.  Yes I didn't know the difference before.  I, first briefed myself with the basics before getting started

I got most of my electrical supplies from Habitat for Humanity Restore.  Awesome Find of the Day: nearly unused electrical 12-2 wire for $20 (retail $60). And no tax!

Helpful YouTube videos
DIY Off Grid Electricity for $12 dollars
Basics of Household Wiring 101
How to Install an Electrical Outlet
How to install an Outlet part 2

Tools: Wire stripper, electric drill, hammer
Materials: Wire nuts, wire staples, junction boxes, switches, wire, outlets, light fixtures, breaker box/breakers

STEP #1: I had to determine how much amps would be flowing through the cabin so I can determine what electrical wire to run.  I ran 12-2 electrical wire.  I plan to use electricity in the cabin to charge phone devices, a few lights, and run a small heater/AC unit.

STEP #2: Determine how many outlets and switches to have and where to locate them in the cabin.  I wanted an outlet in each loft space, one in the living room space for general lighting, one by dining table, one in the kitchen (toaster oven?) and one on the vaulted ceiling for that focal lighting piece! I have 2 switches: one to control the vault ceiling outlet and one to control both living room outlet and Kitchen light.  The rest of the plugs will be active all the time without a switch.

STEP #3: Pre plan how all the wires are going to run throughout the building so don't "swiss cheese" your studs.

STEP# 4: Re-watch the YouTube videos to make sure you have your wires connection accurate.

I will have a contractor/friend come check my work before any of this will ever by juiced with with live electricity.

Insulate

Tools: Knife blade, staple gun, and staples
Materials: faced-Insulation, or unfaced insulation and painters plastic. (Faced or Unfaced means with or without the paper barrier which is used to staple to the studs)

Helpful YouTube video
How to install fiberglass insulation 101

The next step went fast.  Most of the first floor insulation was scrap left over from past projects that I found in storage from previous projects.  The installation was 16 inches wide, but my studs are 22 inches wide.  I used painters plastic to hold in the loose insulation.  I thought I knew how to properly install insulation, but after watching a YouTube video, I went back and re-did the work.
I had to break down and purchase new insulation from Lowe's for the ceiling.  I didn't want to hold up progress waiting for cheap or free insulation.  Also it was going easier to get the correct width roll so it can be quickly stapled in. I purchased 2 rolls for $75 each.





No comments:

Post a Comment