Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Loft-Ladder

The process to conceptualizing the ideas and creation of the Loft-Ladder.

Building access to the lofts spaces above.

1. Identify the Need and its Limits
Unlike many tiny homes I saw online, my cabin consisted of two lofts rather than one.  Often the Tiny Houses had access to their loft spaces either by a mobile ladder or permanently fixed steps.  I wanted to have access to both lofts without needing to move large objects around in a small space so I knew it had to be permanent.  I also want access to either lofts independence of each other, therefore I had to have two separate ladders or steps leading to both of the lofts.  By creating two separate ladders or steps to each loft, it would mean I will be sacrificing space in an-already tight area.  Whatever I was going to do, had to be space-efficient in design and be multifunctional in the cabin.   I also had to keep within budget (of being super cheap or free), I couldn't just go out to a hardware store and buy fancy or specialized materials/parts to build unique special-designed steps.  All I had to work with was scrap wood from left over from previous projects. 

My basic Needs/Limits List goes as follows:
-Access to both lofts
-Not required to move things around
-Not take up too much space
-Must have another function other than to just climbing up with it
-Can't buy extra materials to make it

2. Identify inventory to work with
space and materials to work with

3. Collect ideas
I look to Pinterest, YouTube tiny house and boat house video tours, and Google Images to see what ideas have been explored by others.  I then, analyze some of the positives and negatives of each unique designs. A lot of times when I start out, I really didn't have an idea to what exactly I was looking for except to find something that can take me to the loft.
        

I have decided to create a "split-staircase" design in the cabin, rather than to build two separate staircases or have two separate ladders to constantly move around the cabin to get in and out of the lofts.

4. Balance Creativity & Practicality
After collecting all the ideas and ideas I wanted, I look at my space and list out the "ideal" pros of a design I'd like to see in my space, thus narrowing down ideas/designs from "just cool" designs to "cool & practical" designs.   Most times I'd sometime extract ideas I saw from the internet and make adjustments to fit my ideal design.  In the creation of the Loft-Ladder, I designed it to work in conjunction with the Chair-Stair.

5.  Make it happen
At this point the left side of my brain needs to kick up a notch and work with what the right side of my brain has decided.  I calculate the dimensions, determine infrastructure, and make adjustments to what materials are available to me.


I do have to admit when I got into the geometry and co-tangent calculations, it was purely a joy ride for the left brain.  In reality, it was not necessary because the calculations didn't take into account the imperfections and warping of the wood, and elements/considerations missing in my design due to inexperience.  Although, the actual outcome of the piece seldom matches exactly what was created in my head, I'm pretty impressed with how close it was.  One more note of advice.... Since I am not a professional, I always make sure I design things with wiggle room.  I don't try to make everything in "exact" dimensions because I'm not really certain how much effect in natural expansion and shrinkage will be due to changing humidity and temperatures.

Total cost of set of Loft-Ladders = $0.00





No comments:

Post a Comment