Monday, August 11, 2014

Thrift Stores - Major Secrtet to Great Stuff

THRIFT STORES!-Major Secret to Great Stuff 

I must say, I think I have just discovered a new world of thrift shopping.  I use to have a certain perception about what one would find in thrift stores and the limits of what one could do with thrift store stuff.  I SWEAR! Once the creative ideas broke through the stereotype-barrier, it seems the sky's the limit to what I can do and find in many of these places for UNBELIEVABLE prices! I can truly attest that I am addicted to thrift stores shopping and antique malls!  I can go on and on about the types of projects I have in mind now due to the new resources available to me, items from wine racks to fabrics.  I'll give one example of some of my personal great-finds from thrift store.  Here is very good example of the types of things you can find and the incredible prices you can get for in thrift shops!
Accessories for the Couch-Bed in Living area
 
Everything in the pic above, (except the dog, she wouldn't move for the picture) did not cost more than $5 for each item.  The throw pillows (for the Couch-Bed) averaged $2-$3 a piece.  What's more surprising is that about half of the pillows were down-feather pillows.  In retail stores, polyester-fill throw pillows cost about $15-$25 per pillow, which I still don't understand how that price is justified.  Only 3 of the pillows pictured above cost $5, which surprisingly were the 3 smallest pillows. 
I purchased a shower curtain and a linen curtain for $4 each.  They will be cut up to make pillow cases and small curtains around the cabin.  Many hobby & craft places charge craft fabrics about $4-$10 a yard!  I also think cloth-shower curtains would be make great outdoor pillow & seat covers because of the water resistant properties- easier to clean and repels water. 

It is also not a bad idea to look for camping accessories in thrift stores.  I found this sleeping bag for $4.85.  Retail for the same name brand $15.00 and up.  So the lesson I learned is that once I allowed my mind free from barriers of the stereotypical thoughts and allow it to see things from a different perspective in aesthetics and function, I found that I was really not limited on what I can put in cabin, due to budget constraints.  There are plenty of obtainable cost-effective recourses out there.  I just have to explore every option to get them.

My Thrifty Shopping List
During my travels I have also made thrift store shopping a No. 1 activity on my travel To-Do list!   Every time I get ready to go on a trip I research, list, and map out all the stores the area on Google. The list is sorted by location, and if anyone has some great resources to recommend drop me an email, I'd like to add them to the list! ---> Click Here for Thrifty Shopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment