Saturday, August 9, 2014

Chair-Stair

As I start developing a vision of how this space will look and how I would be using it, I realize that I will
require a rule on the types of furnishings that I would allowed to have in the cabin, to prevent crowding up the space. The rule, I have challenged myself to build furniture that had duel purposes.  Thus born the my first creation with hyphenated names... the Chair-Stair.  It's very name states its primary function.  My naming method are like my furniture creations....efficient and straight to the point.  One can sit on it and step up upon it to get into the loft spaces in the cabin (aka bedrooms).   Keep in mind this will be very SECOND furniture I built ever (after the kitchen table).  I think the most fun about customizing a piece of furniture is really design and conceptualizing it.  Seeing in reality is a bonus. Of course the Stair-Chair will also provided additional storage underneath, but it would be just silly and a mouth full to call this the "Stair-Chair-Storage".  I have not decided yet if I just should leave the space open or install pull out drawers.  I will have to learn about creating a drawing and installing rollers.  For now, the basic structure will be built so I can create other furniture pieces around it before the shed gets moved.  Aesthetic details will be dealt with after the move.

Creation of the "Stair-Chair"
Most of what I design really depends on the type of materials I had available to me..for cheap or Free!.  I found a couple of home-made stands made of 2x4's in the barn among the pile of lumber. I laid it on its side and it inspired how the Stair-Chair will look like.  One huge advantage was that I didn't have to cut the 2x4s, all I had to do was to take apart and and put it back together in a another way. I also added wood plants to the top, from the fence I tore down in my backyard.

Total Cost of Project: $0
Lumber and fence: $0
Reused Screws from the stand: $0

Below is the before-and-after picture, showing what I started out with and what I ended up with one of the pre-made stands:

No comments:

Post a Comment