Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Couch-Bed

Probably the most simple and the largest furniture piece I will be putting in the cabin.  It basically will be an elevated platform made of 2x4s measuring about 113"L x 65"W.  There will be room underneath for storage like additional blankets and fold up chairs.


I imagine this piece to be the most used part of the cabin, and place where people can hang out in the cabin and chat.  During the private moments it will be a quiet comfy place for the puppies and I to enjoy a book.  Because I intend it to be most used, I want to make it easy to clean and as water resistant as possible for any soda or wine spillage.  My goal was to make have it cushioned with outdoor furniture paddings, however I quickly found how crazy expense they were.  Even during off season sales and clearance stores, small outdoor pillows were $15!  I have decided to make my own pillow/cushion covers out of cloth-shower curtains.  I also have to admit that I did break that rule a little bit by getting feather down and polyester pillows for two big and justified reasons. 1) They were only $2-$3 a piece!, 2) They are SO cute!  See my blog post on "Thrift Store" shopping about finding great stuff.

I think one of the coolest thing about the cabin project (among a long list of cool things) is that I am free to put anything design-wise in this space.  In the main house, there are always themes of color and styles that one would need to follow so that all the rooms in the house can tie in with each other.  My house is mostly conservative with mostly shades of browns, tans, and whites.  I don't' have complaints about it, but sometimes a girl need some blast of color without design remorse in the home.  The cabin will be my girl-cave, filled with colors, patterns, and textures to help pump up my creative juices or lighten my day after a long day of work.  The couch-bed would be a big part of this design concept in presenting various colors, textures, and patterns and pulling together various design elements throughout the cabin.  Shopping for colors and textures is also very fun because I will never know what I'll find.

No comments:

Post a Comment