Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Why and How I Got Started

Who am I?

I am just a Midwest girl in her mid-30's, who try to work hard and tried do the right things through life. I had once thought that by the time I'm in my 30's, I would have already married, maybe begin a family, and be on my career path straight up to being a young female CFO/CEO who would one day, be featured in the local business journal. Today I'm single-by-choice, have trouble working up or finding decent jobs due to the economy, thus decided to make my own path to follow in life which brings me to where I am today. I have started my own company in attempt live my life on my terms while working part-time to maintain stable financial stability till my company takes off. Now, with my finances stabilized, my life goals and objective established, I want turn my focus to my spirituality and a healthier lifestyle (in the past, it was waking up early for work, getting home late from work, drinking 2-3 cups of coffee a day, and eating Quiktrip hot dogs in my car going from my place to another for lunch and dinner) I want to explore living life creatively, through playfulness, art, music, meditation/self-reflection-my jobs were primarily left-brain intensive. I want to explore and exercise more outside-the-box thinking, answer all the why-not questions, and do things "just because I want to" and not "because I have to".

Why the Tiny House concept?

I have been following the Tumbleweed homes and it's concept for a long time thinking how cute it would be to have a tiny house. I recently ended a long-term relationship and during the purging and clearing out of the house, I realized we/I have accumulated a lot of things in the house that even I didn't even remember owning over a short period of 5 years. I started looking into the ideas of living simpler. The need for fewer materials goods equate to need to spend less money, thus need less money means less stress to acquire it. Coupled with the TED talks of speakers who purged the chains of material belongings to gain spiritual freedom (provided some video links below), I have started to think deeper about my daily existence and what my hours on earth were really for. Was it for me? or for the "man", taxes, and millionaire corporate owners? After years of reflection (since I was let go from my dream job about 4 years ago) I realized I didn't need much to be happy. Just a full stomach, compfy home that I can call my own, and freedom to set off to new adventures on my terms. No more begging for vacation hours or faking a sickness to enjoy a morning sunrise with a cup of coffee in hand and dogs by my side. I should start learning about small living by exploring more into the concept myself. After all what harm is there? Who knows, it may come in handy when I retire someday and want to travel the country 365 days out of the year.

What Will I Be Doing?

I had an empty shed, a lot of excess building materials (lumber, nails, insulation, demo windows, odd & ends of nails and screws of all sizes imaginable) left over from the past-relationship and the previous house owner. I thought, "WHY NOT?". The stuff was just laying around and have been there for Years! I could focus on finishing out the shed with free or recycled materials and see what happens? This project would be low-cost, require hunting for treasures in Habitat Humanity Restores, thrift shops, antique malls, and online "for sale" ads.


What I started with:

Starting this project, I owned a DeWalt drill, a hammer, and a table saw. I have a couple supportive friends in specific expertise for advise, helpful Lowes and Home Depot associates willing to educate the basics, armed with How-To YouTube videos and Pintrest for creativity. The only professional knowledge I have, going into this project, is massive expertise in....programming Excel spreadsheets. Hopefully, by the end of this project, I can confidently say.. "Anyone can do this!"


TedTalk Lecture:
"Less Stuff, More Happiness"
"Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love"

No comments:

Post a Comment